Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Lifestyle changes - talk about a jump start!

**Quick Note - Thank you to the amazing donations that came in New Year's Eve!  $775 total in a matter of minutes after I posted a reminder on Facebook.  Thanks Shane & Suzanne; Missy, Craig, Jack & Ellie, Jodi & John; and Trace & Michael Wyatt!

A notable Anita citizen told me last year how "sad" it was that he's won several weight loss competitions, that he's been heavy enough to loss enough to win and then gain it back.  Thus the cycle we face with getting on the New Year's Resolution train, where we start and have a good month or three and then forget to embed these short term changes into our long term lifestyle.

New Year's Day run - Starting the year off right!
Too often it's about the number, a certain weight most often or a number of miles, or times going in the gym, number of calories a day, etc.  This is a recipe for disaster as we are all perfectionists and once we make a mistake we feel defeated and off the proverbial "wagon" we fall.

I've always liked keeping it simple and Coach "K" at Duke illustrates this well as he has one rule for his basketball team - "Don't do anything that will embarrass you, the team or your family and doesn't make you a better player." (or something like that).  Rather than a long list of "dos" or "do nots" this incorporates all those situations that fall outside of those lists that players are good at finding the loop holes from.  Likewise, rather than a set number, or specific resolutions, I'm going to offer general lifestyle changes that I can reflect on week to week, month to month and feel better in the long run about my changes.

Spiritual Change:  I am going to read the Bible at home and pray more often.  On the average I probably read it twice a month last year, and this year I'm going to do one of those Year plans to read the whole Bible.  It's on my phone, so if I don't sit down during my dedicated time (morning usually) it will be with me during the moments I'm searching to fill.  I will also pray for others, for the things I'm doing and just in general to slow things down and focus on God in my life.

Nutritional Change:  I'm going to pay even more attention to what, and how much of what I put into my body.  Obviously I've put in the physical time over the past few years and I'm still not where I want to be, and most of that has to do with the type of foods I enjoy and the amount I consume.  I will look for healthier options (which are usually always there) and I will cut down on some things that are embedded in my lifestyle right now.  This doesn't mean "diet" it means making a change and sticking to that change AND allowing yourself to fail once in awhile, but not reverting back.  Also, water, water, water, water...all day long.  I've been pretty good over the last couple months but continue this trend as it is the easiest change that produces dramatic results as well as boosting all other efforts.

Physical Purpose:  My workouts will be more purposeful and intense and starting with the marathon training is a perfect way to kick start this process.  Before it was just about miles, or burning calories but now it's about focus on short term goals that are consistent, focused and intense.  No skipping allowed and after the 16 weeks is through I will take that momentum into the rest of the year.  I'm charting the miles, the types of workouts and have included strength with the miles, exercises and stretches as well.

Family/Community:  No real changes needed here, just a little more organized in efforts in both so I can be more efficient to accomplish more and get more done. 

While my overriding priorities would be God, Family, Self I am moving "Self" ahead of "Family" it terms of making these changes as I need more attention paid to the physical and nutritional aspects of myself.

Thank you and here's to a great 2014!



No comments:

Post a Comment